Thursday, June 5, 2008

I'd like to begin writing on the blog by congratulating NIMIT on his highly audacious behavior, for which he surely might get kicked by Jyotika( I wish he does.. haha)

Okay now on a more serious note..
Hello, I am Joyeta, who like most others out here, has taken the horrendous second year examinations in Economics. I am from the Delhi College of Arts and Commerce, Delhi University.
Initially I fumbled quite a bit with the topic of my project, which took almost 3 whole weeks to decide. I finally decided to go ahead with the question that was creating a menace in my head... After I met this particular psychologist, who was a complete elitist every possible way, my topic for research stood right it front of me, glaring at me for an answer.
What began, with trying to explore the External Support System and how it works at curbing the High Suicide Rates in Youth, by providing helplines, psychologists, counseling, rehab facilities,etc, finally came down to only one question, ARE PSYCHOLOGICAL and PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEMS, ONLY A RICH MAN'S DISEASE..??

Where each psychologist, or psychiatrist, charges nothing less than 1500 bucks for an appointment, and lakhs are spent on treating depression etc etc, can a person from the lower economic strata of society even think of affording such a lavish treatment??
On asking a few psychologists about whether they are catering to these sections of society, the only answer I got was, " there is a lack of demand for counselors, psychologists,etc in the lower economic strata of society". And why is that so, on further probing, these psychologists replied saying that the poor have a HIGH THRESHOLD OF TOLERANCE and therefore they do not require counseling, therapy and are strong enough to withstand 'alll" life's challenges...
What surprised me, further was that there was no mention of exceptional cases, are there facilities for those who do seek counseling and treatment.. Do they know helplines exist? and they can calll these helplines in times of need.. Apart from the 100 no, what effort have other made to reach out to these people..???

I, thus look for answers to the questions that shocked me..!
Please feel free to give suggestions on the same, I'd be very grateful!

2 comments:

Nimit Kathuria said...

Dhanyawaad memsahab for congratulating me! Btw now if anyone here kicks me for real, I am going to charge you for inciting violence. So beware!

Joyeta said...

Blah Nimit blah!!!!